What is the Lifeline Mobile Program?
The Lifeline Assistance program also known as the Lifeline Mobile Program gives struggling low income Americans free cell phones, voice minutes and texting. With landlines disappearing and the increase of cell phone use the Lifeline Mobile Program responds to this situation by helping needy Americans obtain cell phones during these hard economic times. At this time around 20 million people are part of the Lifeline Mobile Program sometimes also referred to as the Obama Phone program.
Do I qualify for a free phone?
If you’re having financial difficulties, participate in another state or federal assistance program, or if your income is low enough, you may qualify for the Lifeline Mobile program .
You can get a free phone if you participate in one of the following federal or state assistance programs
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (Food Stamps or SNAP)
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Federal Public Housing Assistance (section 8)
- Veterans Pension and Survivor’s Benefit
- The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) General Assistance
- Tribally-Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TTANF)
- The Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR)
- Tribal Head Start( only those households meeting its income qualifying standard )
You can still qualify for Lifeline Mobile Program even if you do not participate in any of the above programs if your total household income is low enough.
How to Participate
Different companies offer the free phone depending on your state. Check which one serves your area and make sure to look for companies that offer mobile.